Aveyron is known for its Roquefort, a so-called "blue" cheese made from sheep's milk. There are seven manufacturers of Roquefort in Roquefort-sur-Soulzon: Société, Papillon, Gabriel Coulet, Venières, Le Vieux Berger, Carles and Fromageries Occitanes La Pastourelle. Three cellars can be visited. This is a unique opportunity to learn more about this characterful cheese.
Visit the surroundings of the Residence
A team at your service
DON'T MISS in the heart of the Grands Causses Regional Park:
- Visiting the cellars of Roquefort, the king of cheeses!
- The Saint-Affrique farmers' market with all its local producers 100 m from the LE 1837 residence every Saturday morning.
- Millau and its viaduct.
- The troglodyte village of Peyre "one of the most beautiful villages in France" at the foot of the Millau Viaduct.
- Le Rougier de Camarès as if you were in Arizona!
- The medieval castles of Montaigut, Coupiac and Brousse-Le-Château.
- The Larzac … the most famous of the Grands Causses … and its steppe which is home to fabulous flora and fauna.
- The Templar villages of La Cavalerie, La Couvertoirade and Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon (with its old train station converted into a rail bike).
- The Abbey of Sylvanès and its Russian Orthodox Church.
- The Micropolis insect city in Saint-Léons.
- The many hiking, mountain biking and road cycling trails… like the ladder trail around Roquefort-sur-Soulzon!
- Fishing and swimming spots in the river like "La Plage" in Saint-Rome-de-Tarn with its beautiful Baumes waterfall.
- "Le Héron des Raspes" with its license-free electric boat rentals.
- The descents by pedal boat, canoe or boat on the Tarn.
- Paragliding baptisms in Millau.
- One of the biggest karting circuits in Europe in Belmont-sur-Rance.
- Swimming, the water park and beautiful walks around the lakes of Pareloup, Pont-de-Salars and Villefranche-de-Panat...
- The spectacular view of the magnificent Aveyron countryside from the Peyrebrune tower.
We hope that these diverse and varied activities will pique your curiosity!
Our tourist office, which is located 500 m from the LE 1837 residence at the corner of the public garden, can also share with you a whole range of activities to discover…
For foodies The Roquefort cellars
Witnesses from the past The Templar Hospital sites of Aveyron
Discover 5 villages and towns that will offer you superb panoramas, rich stories and exceptional mysteries. We invite you to discover Le Larzac and its 1,000 km² of nature classified as World Heritage by Unesco, the Cavalry and its 15th century fortifications, La Couvertoirade and its Templar castle, Saint-Eulalie-de-Cernon and its commandery ( motherhouse of the Templars), the Tower of Viala-du-Pas-de-Jaux, as well as the Cistercian fort of Saint-Jean-d'Alcas.
On the road of the lords of Rouergue Montaguet Castle
The Château de Montaigut is a medieval castle from the 10th century. This Château was built on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Dourdou de Camarès Valley. The visit of the Castle and its thirteen furnished rooms is a real invitation to discover the history of the region and to learn more about the Middle Ages.
Among the most beautiful villages in France Brousse-le-Chateau
At the confluence of the Tarn and the Alrance, discover the medieval village of Brousse-le-Château and the castle towers which dominate the village. Walk on the old Gothic bridge, which spans the Alrance, of this charming village, and which allows you to reach the cobbled streets and the fortified church of the 15th century. You will be charmed by this exceptional village.
In the heart of nature Coupiac Castle
In the heart of the Parc des Grands Causses, we invite you to meet in the village of Coupiac. The village is dominated by the medieval Château de Coupiac. This historic monument built in the 15th century retraces the history of the Middle Ages. You can visit it and learn more about life in the Middle Ages thanks to the many illustrated panels.
And his music concerts Sylvanès Abbey
This former Cistercian Abbey of Sylvanès was built in the 12th century. Since 2012, the Abbey has been labeled a cultural meeting centre, the project revolves around music and dialogue between cultures. You can visit the abbey and discover all its treasures such as the chapter house, the cloister gallery, the scriptorium and the abbey church.
An invitation to escape Rougier de Camares
Visit this exceptional territory where the blue of the sky is contrasted by the red of the ground. This geological phenomenon will take you on a journey to the heart of American Colorado. You will enjoy a superb panorama over the entire Rougier valley. A pleasant walk awaits you in this authentic and preserved landscape.